This week we will continue our work with the Poseidon Set. Students should know the meaning of the word parts for Friday's quiz. There will also be a spelling and vocabulary quiz on Friday.
Homework for the week:
- Our Poem of the Week is, "I Was Walking in a Circle" by Jack Prelutsky. The assignments are all due on Monday, September 15. Responses should be neat and thorough. Just as in the I'd Rather Read response/log, students should state the title of the poem and the author in the first sentence. We discuss the poems in class, so answers should be rich with details and text evidence.
- I'd Rather Read log and response.
- Math practice sheet.
- Two math Problem Solving Tasks. Please don't show them how to solve the problem or write it out for them. Instead, start these problems early in the week and have them come to me with specific questions. You can also ask them what they know about the problem, have them draw what they know, and ask what they are trying to figure out. Talking with someone about a word problem before trying to solve it is very helpful.
- Study the Poseidon Set of word parts. Optional homework: Find words with the word parts in something read at home. Use the "Found Words!" sheet to record your work and earn beads.
- Study the spelling words. Optional homework: Practice typing while you learn the spelling words. Type the words several times - use correct finger placement (refer to the typing sheet I distributed in class).
We are still collecting lids and caps for the classroom. My family and I are volunteering to clean up the Santa Monica beach with Heal the Bay on September 20 from 9-12. If you'd like to join us, sign up at http://www.healthebay.org/volunteer/calendar/coastal-cleanup-day. Click "Sign me up!" and choose as your site, Santa Monica beach at Bay St. (Inkwell Monument, Tower 20). You only need to print the safety waiver. Let me know if you will be coming so that I will look for you!
I hope to see you Wednesday for Back to School Morning. You should definitely try to attend Kari Chi's presentation afterwards on the Common Core Standards in Math. Enjoy your Sunday!