I hope everyone enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday and break. It's hard to believe it's already December! My family traveled to the Grand Canyon and to Santa Fe, so I wasn't able to send an update yesterday.
I created a new link under the "Other" tab: Technology Projects. I will post some of our projects here. This is where you can listen to our persuasive turkey podcasts. You will also see some of our concrete poems and our mineral posters soon.
There are some new pictures posted.
Literature Circles: This is similar to a book club. Students chose/were assigned a literature circle book and were given an assignment sheet. We will have time in class each day to read and to work on our weekly assignments, but some of the work will have to be done at home. We will meet with our literature circle group each Tuesday to discuss the reading and share our work. Students will rotate jobs and will be given a new assignment sheet each week, to be finished before Tuesday's meeting. Our first meeting is tomorrow, Tuesday, December 2.
Math Quizzes: We will begin taking bi-monthly quizzes in math that are cumulative (they will include standards from the entire year). Students will be given a prequiz that is similar to the quiz, and should use it to improve their score on the quiz. We will take the prequiz tomorrow and the quiz Friday.
We will learn a new set of word parts this week - the Apollo Set. We will take the spelling, vocabulary, and word part quizzes on Friday, December 12.
- If you have not done so already, please sign the front of the report card envelope and return it to school.
- Invitations went home November 21 for our violin performance this Friday. Students should wear white tops and black bottoms. Our class will perform in the Amin Family Auditorium at 1:35. Please wait until the doors open to enter, as another class will be performing before us. You will get to see the UCLA students leading our class in a lesson. We will play a couple of songs.
- Biography book reports are due December 15.
This week's homework assignments:
- I'd Rather Read log and response.
- Math problem solving and practice sheets.
- Social Studies - Read pages 37 - 40 of Our California. Answer questions 1 - 2 on pages 38-39 (write in the workbook), and questions 1-2 on page 40. Then, complete the tree map with details from the reading.
Have a great week,