I hope you are enjoying the long weekend. Our class feels complete now... Aysa joined us and we were lucky to meet our new aide, Ms. Ahearn.
This week, we will learn a new set of word parts (the Poseidon Set) and spelling words to go with them. We will begin to earn more beads/points for using or finding words that include the word parts we have learned. Outside of school, if your child notices a word with a word part we have learned, ask him or her to tell you what the word part means, and then help him/her use that knowledge to figure out the meaning of the word. If students let me know about these found words, I will give them a bead. It is always fun to see how many we can accumulate throughout the year.
Homework is due on Tuesday, and a new packet will be sent home that is due Monday, September 8. It includes...
- a new I'd Rather Read log and response sheet. Students should be reading books at their level and should answer a different question this week.
- two word problems along with a math practice sheet. Students should show their work in two different ways for the word problems. A picture or diagram should be one of the ways. We are working in class on showing our thinking, including with a number line and a bar diagram. This will get easier as the year progresses.
- a spelling activity menu, from which they will each choose two activities.
- an instruction sheet on how to post a response for a Video Writing Prompt. Students will be required to watch a short video and then post their answers to a few questions on the comment page. I will approve all comments before they are posted. Please have your child let me know if they cannot watch the video at home. I think it is a good idea to have them first type their answers in Word, and then copy and paste their text into the comment section. This way, they can spell check and save their work.
A few other things...
- We will make most of our flashcards in class this week, but some students may need to finish them at home.
- There is not a new Poem of the Week assignment.
- There are links to typing practice sites posted under the "Other" tab.
- I did not remind students about the continents + oceans quiz (oops!!), so I am moving it to Thursday, instead of Wednesday. They will identify the location of the continents and oceans on a world map. Spelling counts. They have a map they can use to study. There are also a few games posted on my Social Studies Websites page.
- I will see you at Back to School Morning on September 10!
As usual, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks for all of your support.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,