Parents - thank you for meeting with me over the last two weeks! And thank you to everyone who volunteered at the Haunt. It was a lot of fun.
Room 10 Volunteer Update and Clarification:
I don't want anyone to feel like they have missed out on an opportunity to volunteer in the classroom. The only parents who have volunteered so far are those who signed up for a job in the beginning of the year (library, field trips, room parents, emergency supplies, etc...). I have decided to wait until after winter break to start literature circles, and I don't need day-to-day volunteers. Thank you for making yourselves available. I will try to use your help this year, I promise!
This week, we have a lot of great things in store. In celebration of Halloween, we are going to explore potential and kinetic energy once more by making pumpkin boats inspired by the SuperScience article. On Friday, we will eat something tasty, but the real treat will be our boat race! We will build our boats earlier, and the races will begin after lunch. Parents can join us to watch the fun. We will race our boats from 1-1:30, take a brief intermission to have violin class from 1:35-2:05, and then be back out there for the finals.
Our first field trip to the Natural History Museum is November 12. Field trip slips went home Friday. Please complete both sides and return them as soon as possible. Chaperone/driver information will be sent out shortly.
This week's homework assignments, due November 2:
1. I'd Rather Read log and paragraph.
• Choose a new question to answer. The paragraph should be written about the book you are reading at home. Be sure to include the name of the book and the author in the first sentence, just like we practiced in class.
- Problem solving tasks 1 and 2. Read, draw, write! Students must read the problem, draw the problem, and write an answer statement BEFORE solving.
- Practice sheets.
- Mental Math: Students will practice their mental math strategies... one problem a night - Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. This is the only part of the homework due Thursday.
3. Earth Science:
- Read "Rock" and answer the questions.
- Extra credit opportunity: Optional rock and mineral question sheet.
4. Reading Olympians:
- Nemesis journal. We will start this in class and you will finish it at home.
- The quizzes will be Friday, November 6 (not this week, but the following week).
Have a great week,